Thursday, May 29, 2014

Information Not on the Label

The FDA currently requires food to be labeled if it contains certain ingredients such as corn syrup, preservatives, and artificial flavoring, but it does not require labeling if it is a G.M.O. product. 93% of respondents to a survey said that they wish that GMO products were identified.
Vermont was the first state to require such labels, but not many other states have followed. Research is being done to determine whether or not GMO products have negative effects on us or the environment. GMO products are classifies as any product that has any organisms that have had there genetic profile changed. It will be interesting to see what researchers determine in this study.


NOS Themes
Science is Collaborative
Science is based on facts

4 comments:

  1. This article is well related to what we learned in class. I support the 93% people who wish that GMO products were identified. People are not against it, but would like to know what they are eating. This also conflicts with many religious beliefs and scientists believe that it harms our environment. GMO uses a lot of pesticides. I also believe that GMO foods are not really healthy. I personally would try to avoid it (if I can). It is one's right to know about what they are eating. Visit http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/26/information-not-on-the-label/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0 for more information

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very surprised to hear that 93% of the respondents said they wanted GMO products to be identified, and there is still no response that will change the problem. I have learned that GMO's are required to be identified in 64 different countries, but the United States is not one of them. I think it is a violation of our rights as citizens to not know what we are consuming, especially because GMO's can be found in about 80% of the processed food in the United States. This is an issue that more people need to be informed about, so can visit this site to find out more:
    http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I agree with the majority on this one, and I find it strange that the FDA hasn't done anything about it yet. I'm not entirely sure if we should make GM foods or not, but I would definitely like to know if I am eating them. I think a part of the reason why people want GMO's labeled so badly is just because it's something that they know they don't know, if that makes any sense. The fact that somebody is hiding information from people is most likely the real reason, not because people actually care about eating or not eating GM foods. Anyway, this was a cool article and an interesting topic to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with the 93% of people in the survey and think that all GMOs should be labeled. I think that people should have the right to know what they are eating and how it was made. I am interested to find out how GMOs affect people and the environment. Even though no severe consequences have come up yet, it is nerve-racking to think about the long term affects they could possibly have on humans and the environment.

    ReplyDelete